Thursday, February 28, 2008

death by garbage

Yesterday I was wasting time between classes by enjoying a tasty salted nut roll. Upon finishing said nut roll, I paused to throw away the wrapper in the nearest trash can where I discovered a dead bird. I was sad to see the make-shift grave that this bird had ended up in. It was sharing it's resting place with old newspapers, chewed gum, and of course, my candy wrapper.

I understand that the University of Minnesota custodial staff doesn't have the time to line a shoe box with crumpled paper and carefully nestle the remains of the bird in the homemade coffin. They also don't have time to dig a hole in their back yard, bury the coffin, and make a head stone out of over-sized popsicle sticks. But I do wish that it wouldn't have met it's final resting place in a fucking trash can.


2 comments:

wendy lewis said...

o. what a sad, amazing little story. thanks.

Brent Sigmeth said...

That trash can is probably a much better vault than a gutter. I think it's just the idea of "throwing something away" that grinds the senses. Could you please send me an inspiration so I can write something as good as what you write? Thanks in advance!

Brent