Friday, June 20, 2008

The First Beach Trip...

Yesterday Nathan and I ventured to Hidden Beach - the most glorious of beaches in Minneapolis. There are trees, forest, a mud pit, hippies playing bad music (upright bass, guitar, FLUTE - wooden flute, mind you...), screaming naked children, and a whole lot o' hipsters. Okay, so maybe the scene is a little silly, but the beach itself is great, and there are less screaming children than there are on Calhoun or Harriet, so I'm content. And there's less sand in my mouth. But I must say, they hippie crowd is quite entertaining. The true hippies stake their claims around the perimeter of the beach so that they can smoke their pot in peace without the bicycle cops getting on their case. Sometimes the hippies join forces on their "life-giving" music and that's when the bongo-beat gets so much more enlightening. Other times, the hippies roam about and pick up discarded cigarette butts or bitch about people putting improper items in the recycling bins. All in all, they're entertaining, even if they're annoying.

After braving the early-summer-kinda-cold water, Nathan and I settled into the sand to dry in the 8:00pm not-so-bright sun. I proceeded to pile random things on him: twigs, sand, bark, stones, other twigs, a cigarette butt (he drew the line there...) etc. I came upon a very thin, very straight stick which I was using to badger dear Natey-Poo about something or another. And then I realized - it was an incense stick. Fucking hippies...

1 comment:

wendy lewis said...

HA! you found hidden beach. good work. it's classic.