Thursday, June 5, 2008

Can I be a "Rock Star"?

As many of you know, I've had dreams of being in a band for quite some time now. A friend of mine recently asked me to audition to be the singer for his band. I was scared shitless. The opportunity I'd been waiting for was here and in turn, it terrified me.

So, of course, I avoided him until I couldn't anymore.

Yesterday, post serious badgering from the bassist in the band, I relented and went to go sing with the dudes. Now here's the deal: they have about 10 songs written (instrumentals) and I would be responsible for writing lyrics/vocal melody. That doesn't sound so bad right? Wrong. Because I would need to have this done in about, oh... 2 weeks. Maybe less. Crazy. They want to record and play at least 4 shows by mid August.

I show up at the "space" after stressing out all day. I'd only heard their songs once, I've never "jammed" before, I've never really sung rock music before, some of the guitar parts are really melodic so I have a hard time creating new melodies over that, it's super loud and my mic isn't loud enough... this list of problems for me goes on and on. As a result of those "problems" (which probably weren't problems for the guys and I was just freaking out) I felt like an ass after two and half hours of "la la la - ing". Fuck. Those were the most stressful two and a half hours of my life.

So my question is, how does a singer jam? Cause I sure as hell don't know how to do it.

2 comments:

sarah said...

i think it requires some pumping up of said jam.

i am unsure what constitutes this pumping up of the jam, but i'm sure its end result is pure toast...

and you love toast.

this is what i learned from www.rapdict.com:

pump:
1.)Pump of a pump-action shotgun "Sawed off shotgun, hand on the pump"
2.) To play music loudly
3.) A term used for shoes, usually female's shoes. "Slip my pumps on"

jam:
1.) Song, cut, track. Artists playing together are "jamming" or having a "jam-session". This is the dope jam!"
2.) The sweet stuff - like honey.
3.) Slam dunk in basketball
4.) To lock up, like when a bullet gets caught up in the chamber of a gun the gun jams.
5.) Slang for sex. "Like a ram getting ready to jam the lamb"
6.) A party

Before running out and putting on some pumps before jamming a lamb, i would recommend cross-referencing this with a more reputable source. i would also appreciate not practicing the pumping of a pump-action shotgun in the house; it is too tiny and i'm not at a point in my life where a gun shot wound would not be inhibiting. this is furthermore sure to incite the chamber lock-up, as described in part four of jam's definition. i also think your height would prove disadvantageous if you decide to "jam" a basketball.

if the band asks you to perform any of the above tasks that i have warned against, i would advise not asking questions and leaving the room quickly. from that point on, jamming would prove risky and you surely do not want to be the lamb.

wendy lewis said...

we already talked all over this... but... have you done that "next thing"? hope so and hope you try again.

xx